Ah, you know it’s the end (the end of the year, silly!) when the lists begin to make their appearance. Well, we at jmww wanted to put our two cents in the jar. Hear it rattle, and watch this space for a bunch of lists the next week! The first comes from senior poetry editor Jenny Sadre-Orafai, who discusses, briefly, seven books she couldn’t shake this year:
Disclaimer #1: I’m a poet.
Disclaimer #2: This list does not contain ten books like all the other top ten lists you read at the end of the year.
Disclaimer #3: I do not provide explanations why these books are here. You should just trust me and read them.
1. Swamplandia! by Karen Russell
2. Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward
3. We the Animals by Justin Torres
4. Blueprints for Building Better Girls by Elissa Schappell
5. Ten Thousand Saints by Eleanor Henderson
6. The Family Fang by Kevin Wilson
7. The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides